**Edit: This position is still open and is now listed on microsoft.com/careers/. You can find it by searching for Job Code: 151967.
Who says Microsoft doesn’t have fun? Well, In my new position I’m currently hiring for what can only be described as the coolest job ever. Read below for all the details:
Technical Product Manager - Visual Studio Express
Are you looking for the coolest job you’ll ever have? Do you love to code for fun? Do you look for ways to be creative with technology? Would you love a job where you get paid to play with hardware like X10 controls, GPS devices, and digital cameras? Are you interested in game development and making Visual Studio Express a great tool for beginning game developers? Are you excited by the prospect of helping make the lives of the over 18 million non-professional developers easier? Are you passionate about helping absolute beginners learn the basics of programming? Do you have big, bold ideas for how to make Visual Studio Express the coolest developer tool on the planet?
Join one of the most exciting teams at Microsoft and drive the success of a high-profile product line in an established, proven organization. As a technical product manager for Visual Studio Express, you will take ownership of product planning, product and technical marketing, partner engagement, and community outreach programs. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Driving all aspects of product management for the Visual Studio Express product line
- Helping plan the “Orcas” release of Visual Studio Express
- Driving customer satisfaction with Visual Studio Express
- Building crystal clear value propositions for your customer segements and finding creative ways of articulating them
- Working with vendors to make your jaw-dropping, buzz-worthy content ideas come to life
- Creating new and supporting existing hobbyist developer communities through partners like Valve software (makers of Half Life 2), Lego, Amazon, eBay, and more
- Driving internal evangelism for non-professional developers with groups like Windows Media Center, Live.com, Microsoft Game Studios, Virtual Earth, MSN, and more
- Cross-group coordination with teams including the Visual Studio product team, SQL Server Express marketing, academic marketing, worldwide subsidiary marketing managers, and MSDN
- Assisting with all launch and marketing activities for Visual Studio Express
- Being a rock star presenter that is able to demo the product on stage with senior executives worldwide
This role includes driving out tactical marketing initiatives as well as developing visionary strategic plans. Ideal candidates must have development experience and have a strong passion for non-professional development, and an ability to think out-of-the-box for creative ways to appeal to the non-traditional developer community. In addition, successful candidates must be creative, be able to learn new technologies quickly, be an exceptional customer advocate and have excellent communication skills,. The candidate must also be highly motivated, hard-working, self-sufficient, and be able to operate effectively without close supervision. Familiarity with the developer market segment and a BA/BS degree in a technical field of study is preferred.
If you’re interested, contact me with the subject: “Cool Job”